In the light of above mentioned couplet of Allamah Aqubal, it is an accepted fact that after a long span of time, eminent and outstanding spiritual personality is born to remove the darkness of infidelity, wrong beliefs, unislamic culture, illiteracy, tyranny, immorality, impurity of character and behaviours by illuminating the candle of reformation and righteousness. Such an illustrious personality was born at Kichowcha Sharif in the descendants of Hazrat Sultan Syed Ashraf Simnani (R.A) in the twentieth century. Let us peruse the pious life and works of such eminent and unmatched personality who was adorned with abstinence and sanctity, purity of character and behaviour, exaltation of knowledge (marfat) and spirituality (Roohanyat ), prayer and devotion and above all follow up of revealed law (Shariat) and tradition of the holy prophet (sunnat) The vicissitude of time could not erase his name and works; but his candle of mysticism is still burning everywhere showing right path.
Hafiz Shirazi says:
“Hargiz Na Mirad Anke Delash Zindah Shud Ba Ishque,
Sabt Ast Bar Jaridai Alam Dawame Ma”
Meaning: “He never dies whose heart became alive with excessive passion. Our perpetuality is inscribed on the gazette of the world”
Name: Syed Mohd. Mokhtar Ashraf (R.A.)
Family Name: Abul Masood.
Title: Makhdoomul Mashaekh, Sarkar-e-Kalan Father: Hazrat Maulana Syed Ahmad Ashraf
Place and Date of Birth: Kichowcha Sharif. 1334 AH
Descendant: He is 37th descendant of Hazrat Mohammed (Sal Allaho Alaiyhe Wa Sallam)
Syed Shah Md. Mokhtar Ashraf , s/o syed Md. Ahmed Ashraf s/o Syed Alahazrat Ali Hossain s/o Syed Saadat Ali s/o Syed Qualandar Baksh s/o Syed Torab Ashraf s/o Syed Md. Nawaz s/o Syed Md. Ghous , s/o Syed Jamaluddin s/o Syed Azizur Rahman s/o Syed Md. Osman s/o Syed AbulFatah s/o Syed Mohammad s/o Syed Md. Ashraf s/o Syed Hassan s/o Syed Abdur Razzaque NoorulAin s/o Syed Abdul Ghafoor Hasan Jilani s/o Abdul Abbas Ahmad Jilani s/o Syed Badruddin Hasan s/o Syed Alauddin Ali s/o Syed Shamsuddin s/o Syed Saifuddin Yahya Omudi s/o Syed Abu Nasar Mohammad s/o Syed Abu Saleh Emaddin Nasar s/o Syed Abu Bakar Tajuddin Abdur Razzaque s/o Syadna Ghosul Azam Mohiuddin Abdul Quadir Jilani s/o Syed Abu Saleh Moosa Jangi Dost s/o Syed Abdullah Jeelani s/o Syed Yahya s/o Syed Md. Malik s/o Syed Daud Malik s/o Syed Moosaljun s/o Syed Abdullah ALMahaz s/o Syed Hassan Mosanna s/o Syed Imam Hassan s/o Syed Ali Murtaza husband of Syeda Fatema Tuz Zohra Daughter of Hazrat Mohammad Mustafa (Sal Allaho Alaiyhe Wa Sallam).
|Bismillah Khani : (Beginning reading in the name of Allah)
In accordance with the family tradition , Shabihe Ghouse Jilani Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) himself performed it in the presence of his father , Maulana Ahmad Ashraf (R.A.) and other dignitaries of the family . As Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) was unable to utter word , Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) read “Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim ” and Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan only listened. He listened and understood everything. He was not dumb by birth. After the tradition of Bismillah Khani was performed, Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian asked to complete Chillah (forty days) at the shrine of Hazarat Makhdoom Simnani (R.A) abstaining from unwanted thing during chillah of Jamali and Jalali. According to his order all arrangement were made for it under the strict supervision of his pious mother and father. The chillah started with full care. Hazrat Makhdoomul Mashaikh (R.A.) passed most of his time at the Shrine of Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) after the scheduled period of chillah. On the last day of chillah, he was inside the shrine in the evening. The khoddam (servants) of the shrine did not see him and locked the door on fixed time. Now a child of less than five years was before his great ancestor, Hazrat sultan sayed Ashraf Jahangir Simnani (R.A.). He fell asleep between two graves wrapping the chader (sheet) of the Astana (grave). When he did not reach in the khanquah, everyone began to search him. There was weeping and crying in the family. Well, ponds and Neer Sharif were searched but no trace at all. His father Maulana Syed Ahmad Ashraf (R.A.) went to Ala-Hazrat (R.A.) in restlessness and said, “he has been searched everywhere only the shrine of Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) is left to be searched”. He went into observation and said “Babu Mian is safe”. In the morning the door of Astana was opened as scheduled. He was found there sleeping between the two graves. Wrapping chader (sheet) of Astana. The khoddam awoke him and said, ” Did you feel cold”. Hazrat Makhdoomul Mashaekh’s tongue opened and said, “I did not feel cold as I had wrapped the sheet (chader) of Astana.” At once his father arrived there and embraced him as result of which he forgot every thing what had happened with him there otherwise he would have disclosed the secret as he was a child.
This incident was extraordinary at the shrine of Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) as it never had happened. It can be said with full confidence that Hazrat Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) not only removed dumbness he must have bestowed him with unimaginable blessings and benedictions. As morning shows the day, from very childhood splendour of Marfat (Knowledge) and spirituality was shining on his face.
From very child hood, he lived apart from the children of the village and did never play with them. His walking, sitting and every activity was different from other children. Why not so, he was being brought up in the lap of such a pious and God fearing mother who was Rabia Basria of her time. His father and grandfather, who were at the height of spirituality, took special care of him, as he was to be a Ghouse waqut in future. Hazrat Makhdoomul mashaekh (R.A.) has himself narrated an interesting incident saturated with good advice for the children.
Once he went out for walking with Maulana Ale Hasan (R.A.). when they arrived at the market, he saw some boys busy in play. He went near and saw that they were throwing three balls together in a small pit. If three balls went into the pit he would win three rupees. A boy of his village was also playing but he was losing. Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) asked him to give ball to him and he threw ball together into the pit and won three rupees. He gave away three rupees to the boy and asked him to accompany leaving the play. They reached in a orchard. He asked the boy to say prayer with them. He obeyed. After that he told him not to indulge in such play as it results in loss and his father was a poor man. He further told that if the habit takes root, Then it would be difficult to get ride of it. He got ashamed and promised not to play. Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) went to his father and repeated the incident. The poor father became glad and thanked him very much. Later on, all the members of the family became his disciple.
Now one can draw inference from this very incident how neat and clean was his boyhood showing a bright future in the world of spirituality. Every child should take lesson from his childhood.
He gained his primary education at Kichowcha Sharif under the guidance of elders. But the irony of fate was that the tyrrant hand of death snatched his dignified father from him when he was only 13 years old. One can easily imagine his mental anxieties on this heart rending premature death which caused inexpressible grief and sorrow to every member of the family, in particular, and all followers of Silsila Ashrafia in general. There was no one except his old mother and grandfather. Now the whole responsibility of his fostering and education devolved on the weak shoulder of grandfather who too was grieved at heart on this sorrowful occurrence to express it in words.
In spite of this tragic situation, his grandfather did not make him feel the death of the father rather took special care of education. He read preliminary books of theology from Moulwi Imaduddin Maulana Wasi Ahmad Sasarami and Hazrat Maulana Abdur Rashid Nagpuri taught him all books of Darse Nezamia except Bukhari Sharif. Hazrat Maulana Naimuddin Moradabadi taught him Bokhari sharif. Besides these renowned teachers, some qualified teachers were appointed in Madrasa Ashrafia specially for him. Every teacher taught him not only as a pupil but they taught him with due respect as his dazzling face was indicating his bright futures.
It is only a special characteristics of Hazrat Makhdoomul Mashaikh (R.A.) that he did not go any where for education, but he completed his education at Madrasa Ashrafia founded by his grandfather. After teaching Bukhari Sharif to him, Hazrat Sadrul Afazil Maulana Naimuddin Moradabadi (R.A) requested to Alahazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) to award him turban of honour. For this, a colourful function was organised in Khanquahe Ashrafi Hasania Sarkar-e-Kalan in which eminent personality participated. AlaHazarat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) tied up the turban of honour on his head and prayed for his success in every field. Hazrat Makhdoomul Mashaikh kissed his pious hand and the dignitaries congratulated him for this honour. Now imagine the extreme joy of his beloved mother who must have been exceedingly glad to see his son with turban of honour on his head. It would not be wrong to say that the memory of his father Maulana Ahmad Ashraf (R.A.) must have filled tears in eyes of everyone present there. Alas! He could not see his son obtaining turban of honour from Shabihe Ghouse Jilani Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A). It is true consent of Allah is better than all”.
|Baito Khelafat (Featly and Dignity of Caliph)
It is true that Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A) had nominated Hazarat Maulana Ahmad Ashraf (R.A.) his son, as his caliph after him but he left this world on 1347(A.H.) and this sacred seat became vacant. He nominated Hazrat Makhdoomul Mashaek (R.A.) as his wali Ahad Janashin on the occasion of Fateha Chehlum of his deceased son. A large number of followers and eminent personalities from every where had thronged the Khanquahe Ashrafia Hasania. In their presence, AlaHazarat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) announced his Wali Ahadi (successor ship) in such word.
“Faquir Syed Abu Ahmad Md. Ali Hossain Ashrafi Jilani Sajjadah Nashin Dargah Roohabad ki Chowcha Sharif Dist. Faizabad informs to all members of the family, Islamic brother and followers of Silsila Ashrafia that I have nominated my son Alime – Rabbani Waeze – Lasani Maulana Abul Mahmood Ahmad Ashraf as his Wali Ahad and Janashine Ashrafussimnani; this Faquir performed third Haj in 1329 (A.H. ) and visited Taif Sharif, Madina Monawwarah, Baitul Maquaddas and other important places like karbalai Moalla, Nazaf Sharif, Kazemain Sharifain, Ghare Surmara Baghdad Sharif, Hama Sharif and Hams Sharif etc. I could not reach Kichowcha Sharif on the date of Urse Mahboobe Yazdani Noor Bakhsi Simnani. I asked him to perform all customs of Urs. He did it well like me, served the guests and as a respect instead of putting on Khirquah, he made it see to all. He served me whole life and obeyed my order on every thing. He died of plague on 15th Rabiul Akhir 1347 AH. I, on the occasion of Majlise Chehlum and in presence of members of family, disciples, Kholfa like Syed Gholam Bhik Nirang AlMokhtabba Farquirullah Shah, Haji Moizuddin Raise Ibrahimpuri and Nazir Hasan from Shukhe Jaunpuri and lovers of Silsila from all over India, I made my grandson my disciple and nominated my Wali Ahad. All who were present shook hand with him with due respect and prayed for his knowledge, practice and long life”.
Hazrat Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A) got him married with the Daughter of Peer Syed Mustafa Ashraf (R.A). He has three sons from his first wife viz. Alhaj Maulana Syed Izhar Ashraf Sajjadah Nashim Khanquahe Ashrafia Sarkar-e-Kalan (2) Syed Md. Ahmad Ashrafi Jilani (3) Syed Ali Ashrafi Jilani and from second wife he has two sons viz. Md. Anwar Ashraf and Syed Md. Hasan and three daughters.
It is undeniable fact that in the propogation of Islam and showing right path of Shariat (Ravealed Law) and Tariquat (Path), the outstanding services of Auliae Keram (revered friend of Allah) can never be forgotten. likewise, Hazrat Makhdoomul mashaekh’s service to the cause of Islam in general, and for Silsila Ashrafia, in particular, is the golden chapter of the history of khanquahe Ashrafia Hasania Sarkar-e-Kalan . As we have come to know his father passed away when he was only thirteen years old. His grandfather who was his sole guardian and foster, left this world in 1355 AH when he was only twenty-two years old. Now imagine this tender age and so many responsibilities devolved on his weak shoulder. He was alone and there was no one on his back to support and guide him except his old grieved mother whose heart had grievously injured on account of this heart rending situations. In this condition, an ordinary man might have been demoralised but his endowed maturity in spirituality stood by him and he faced all these difficult situations with courage and determination. The old mother continued encouraging him as a result of which he started his journey with the mission of Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) in every corner of the subcontinent. Wherever he went taking the candle of Hazrat Makhdoom Ashraf (R.A), he was accorded with warm and sincere welcome. He who saw his shining face became fascinated. He brought a revolution wherever he went by presenting Islam in its true sense of term and showing the path of Shriat and Tariquat in a very thoughtful and attractive manners resulting millions of people coming in the fold of Silsila. He not only attended the religious function and delivered spiritual lecture but also eminent learned men and educationist belonging to different sects used to attend special meeting programme and ask questions and get satisfactory answers. His method of presentation of mystical idea and point of the Quran and Hadith was so meaningful and attractive based on reason that great educationist bowed down their heads before him. His speech on knowledge (Marfat) and reality ((Haquiquat) reminded the speech delivered by Syadna Ghouse Azam Mohiuddin Abdul Quadir Jilani (R.A). BesidesIndia, he journeyed to European and Arab countries and illuminated the candle of Makhdoom Ashraf(R.A.)’s mission everywhere. In those countries wherever he landed by plane, a sea of human being rushed to see and welcome him. He left deep impact everywhere and thousands of people became his disciple. It is very difficult to calculate the number of his disciples and caliphs spread in countries likeIndia,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Shrilanka,Mauritius,Holland,Englandand many Arab countries. He not only preached orally but also established Madrasas wherever felt necessary. Even today a number of Madrasas are running under his spiritual patronage.
It is an undisputed fact that it is fear of Allah (Taquwa) that makes a man perfect Momin (believer) and brings nearer to Allah. The holy Quran has made it clear that he is the most dignified before Allah who is most Allah fearing. No one can dispute this fact that the sanctified life of Hazrat Makhdoomul Mashaekh is the manifestation of Taquwa from Childhood. Everymoment of his life was moulded in the matrice of Shariat (Revealed law) and Sunnat (saying and action of the prophet). In eighty-four years of his life no one could dare to say that any moment of his life was deviated from the path of Holy prophet of Islam. He always said prayer on time as he used to be ready for prayer (Namaz) even before time and asked everyone to go for Namaz. In fact he slept with fear of Allah and awoke with His fear. What to speak of his young age prayer, even in his old age, he did never show negligency in prayer. Even in last period of life, when he was unable to stand and walk, he observed complete fasting of Ramzan. This was nothing but the strength of his belief and spirituality. Someone said that Shariat gives leave of fasting to the old man. He replied, “since childhood I have not left fasting; why should I leave it in old age”. He even attended Tarawih with punctuality. During his last time of life one day he stood for prayer but fell down being fainted. After sometime when he regained his sense, stood and said prayer. It was his unmatched Taquwa (Fear of Allah) which impressed everyone. In short, he passed his whole life according with the Sunnat. It is true that sajjadah Nashin of Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) was a great honour for him but it would not be wrong if I say so that Sajjadah Nashini was itself proud of him as Hazrat Maulana Suleman Saheb has said”
“Banazad Bar To Sajjadah Nashini”
Meaning: Sajjadah Nashini is proud of you.
In the construction of versatile personality, character and behaviour are deemed as essential factor. The character of Arefin and Salekin (mystics and devotee) is illuminated with the candle of prophet hood and they are the spectacles of the character of our holy prophet (S.A.W) about whom the Holy Quran says, ” undoubtedly, you are on great character”. Likewise Hazrat Makhdoomul Mashaikh (R.A) presented before the world such a refined character and moral which was in conformity with the character and behaviour of Mohammad Arabi (Sal Allaho Alaiyhe Wa Sallam). Hazrat Makhdoomul Mashaikh weighed his every action on the scale of morality presented by the founder of Islam (Sal Allaho Alaiyhe Wa Sallam). He must have read “Maktubate Sadi” of Hazrat Sharfuddin Yahya Monairi (R.A.) in which describing the importance of character in tariquat writes. “Character is that it has become the manner of learned men who follow Shariat in their conditions and taste their character on the touchstone of Sunnat (saying and action of prophet). He who does not follow Shariat he gets nothing from Tariquat”
Everyone who has seen him must confirm above stated virtues of his character to see which even his enemy could not help being impressed. In short, he was proof (Misdaque) of this couplet of Hazrat Mehboob-e-ilahi (R.A.)
“Har keu khare Nehad Dar Rahe Ma Az Dushmani
Har Gule Kaz Baghe Omrash Bashagofad be Khar Bowad”
Meaning: “He who places thorn on my way due to enmity,
I pray to Allah that the flower which blooms in the garden of his life be without thorn”
Rights of Slaves (Hoquul Ebad)
Rights of slaves is of great importance in Islam and its founder (Sal Allaho Alaiyhe Wa Sallam) has emphasized to be careful in discharging the rights of slaves as Allah can forgive every sin except the rights of slaves. Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) kept its importance in view and in eighty-four years of life, he did not crush the right of anyone. He was so honest in dealing that no one could raise finger on him. How can this be expected from a dignified personality who was generous, who was the helper of needy, widows and orphans. He did never rebuke the beggar and return empty handed. His door was open for all. It was his special characteristics that months before his death, he announced that if any one had anything due to him, he should come and take in his life time. He waited but not a single person came to claim his due. He used to say that he always practised on three things strictly accordingly to the will of his father, Hazrat Maulana Ahmad Ashraf (R.A.). First, punctuality in saying prayer; second, always speaking truth and third, discharging the rights of slaves. He did not deviate from these three important will of his father throughout his life.
Obedience to mother:
The example of obedience to mother which Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) has left behind is unmatched and a golden chapter of his life. He knew it well that paradise is under the feet of mother; he remained faithful and obedient to his mother who was Rabea Sania of her time. He did not do any work without the permission of his mother and even he did never go to offer Fatheha to the Shine of Hazrat Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) without her permission. He did not go out without her permission and when he returned from the journey, first met with her and and narrated the reports of his journey. There are many incidents of obedience to his mother which he narrated amongst his followers only to give them lesson of obedience to mother. About his mother he says, “Revered mother was Rabea Sania of her time. She said obligatory prayer and Tahajjud (prayer said after midnight) with extreme punctuality. She remained engaged in the recitation of Holy Quran forgetting even breakfast when his father died, she was in old age but she, was always punctual to Namaz.”
Two events of his obedience:
(1) Once he was leading the prayer of Isha and Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) too was behind him. When he was in prostration (Sajda), some one called, “Mohammad Mian, your mother is calling you.” No sooner did he listen it than he rushed to his mother leaving the followers in prostration. When she knew that he responded to her call leaving Imamat (leadership in prayer), she said that one could leave Nafl prayer at the call of mother. Upon this, Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A) told that it was true but Moula Ali sacrificed his Asr prayer on the prophet (S.A.W) though the sun was returned back by the prophet for his prayer; he told that Quaza (saying prayer after due tim) of Namaz could be but the Quaza of obedience was impossible. Then he went to the mosque fastly. Alahazrat Ashrafi Mian Smiled to listen to it and he again led the prayer.
(2) One day his mother asked him to get a latrine constructed nearby. He began to make it himself with the help of a servant. In the meantime a guest came and asked the servant to tell him to wait. He completed it and went to meet him explaining the reason of his delay that he was making latrine for his mother. The guest amazed to know it and begain to weep. But his mother did not use it and got it dismantled, as she knew that only she would not use rather other would also use. She did not like that the latrine made by Sajjadah Nashin of Hazrat Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) should be used by everyone.
|A Great Spiritual Peer-o-Murshid
Undoubtedly Makhdoomul Mashaikh Hazrat Maulana Syed Mohd. Mokhtar Ashraf Sajjadah Nashin (R.A.) was the greatest spiritual personality of his time having a large of ulmas and mashaikh in the chain of his disciples. There are many personalities in Khanwadai Ashrafia like Shaikhul Islam Maulana Syed Mohd. Madani, Maulana Syed Hashmi, Maulana Syed Arabi, Maulana Syed Jilani and many others. Among his disciples, there are many eminent learned personalities like Maulana Mufti Habibullah (R.A.), Maulana Mufti Gholam Mujtaba (R.A.), Maulana Mufti Abdul Jabil, Maulana Mufti Zainul Abedin, Maulana Shahid Raza Naimi (London) and many others. Infact, His spiritual personality was so attractive and magnetic that he who came near to him, could not keep being his disciples. Not only inIndiabut in abroad too, there are distinguished learned personalities and mashaikh who are his disciples and kholfas. It was the result of his purity of character and sanctity of behavior that everyone whether belonging to locality or outside places held him in high esteem and to be his disciples was a matter of pride for them.
It is fact that enlightenment is the special attribute of Aulia (Friends of Allah) who have the information of one’s heart and no one needs to explain what he has in heart. Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) was endowed with this by birth with the gift of Allah. There are hundreds of incidents scattered every where which show to what exaltation of spirituality was he. If any one went to him to tell his desire and ask some question, he would start conversation in such manner that he would get the answer of his question and returned fully satisfied. I am presenting here only some events as a proof to what I have stated above.
(1) Once a man came to Khanquahe Ashrafia Hasania to be disciple. He wished to be disciple and expressed it before Hazrat Maulana Mufti Ahmed yar Khan (R.A.) who was at that time a teacher in Madrasa Ashrafia. He took him to Kichowcha Sharif to meet Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan . The time he reached there, he was playing ball with Mahaddis Azam Haind (R.A.) The stranger was amazed to see him in such tender age as he had come to know his celebrity there. Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) took him to his house and presented tea. Without being asked any thing, he told that first he wanted to tell him a story and after that further conversation would take place. He started narrating in such way. “Hazrat Saydna Baba Fariduddin was consumed with love of Allah from very childhood and completed different steps of mysticism and spirituality. Hazrat Nezamuddin Mahboobe Ilahi (R.A.) went to him to be his disciple. When he reached there he saw him playing with some children. Seeing it, doubt cropped up in his heart and wanted to return from there. When he was to return from there, Hazrat Shaikh Fariduddin (R.A.) called him and pointing towards a jar said, “Bring the Jar.” He tried to raise it but in vain. Then he said “Mouth is small but the bottom is large.” He indicated that the age is not condition to be mystic and holy man. After narrating it, he started conversation on different topics. After Magrib prayer Hazrat Maulana Mufti Ahmad Yar Khan and that Stranger came to meet again. There was curtain on the door. He came out and asked, “How did you come again.” We have come again to know whether he had made him his disciple or not Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) smiled and told that why they took trouble to ask him this. Upon this the stranger told that he had come to be his disciple and doubt had come in mind and heart and now it was removed by you. In fact, you are enlightened man and make me your disciple. He made him his disciple. Only this incident of his tender age is enough to prove his spiritual maturity. Those who have been in contact with Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan , Know it well.
|Khanquah and its Responsibility
Hazrat Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) made him his wali Ahad Janashin in a very tender age. His mother was anxious to think the responsibilities of Khanquah and propagation of the mission of Hazarat Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) on the weak shoulder of his son. She requested to Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) not to give so much burden on him as he is alone and in tender age. Consoling he said that Khanquahe Ashrafia Hasania would reach to the peak of progress in every respect by him and she would see herself the development of Khanquah. His prophecy came true and after availing this dignified post of Sajjadah Nashin in 1356 (A.H) he turned his attention towards khanquah. There were only four pucca rooms and some thatched rooms in the khanquah. Gradually the khanquah began to make progress. But he had to pass from difficult situations as the opposite party always put obstacle in the progress of the Khanquah. Case after case were lodged against him but he faced all these difficult situation with courage and determination. Whenever he needed any advice he did not consult with any one but used to go to Hazrat sadrul Afazil Maulana Naimuddin Moradabadi. (R.A.) to seek advice. His correct and sincere advice always stood by him in every difficult condition. In fact, there was no one except the old mother and Hazrat Maulana Naimuddin Moradabadi (R.A.) who was just like a sincere guardian for him. During this period, Hazrat Shaikh-e-Azam Maulana Syed Izhar Ashraf Sajjadah Nashin was gaining education. After completing education, he shared the responsibilities of Khanquah and Makdoomi mission with zeal and devotion. Now he felt comfort as his Wali Ahad took all responsibilities of khanquah.
|Contemporary Olma (Learned-Man) Mashaekh (Holy-Man)
One can not deny this facts that olma (Learned Man) were highly impressed of his eminent personality and his humbleness. They respected him wherever he went. In every function he used to be president and delivered his spiritual and meaningful speech in the end. He was just like a moon amongst the Mashaekh and Olmas. He also respected those savants of Islam. That is why where ever he went Olmas attended his private meeting on Seheduled time and had conservation on different Islamic topics. They returned fully satisfied with his meeting. On the occasion of his first Urse Makhdoomi as a Sajjadah Nashin, he invited the dignitaries of Olma and Mashaekh who responded to his invitation and were highly impressed with the management and hospitality. This historic gathering of Olmas and Mashaikh will ever remain a green chapter of the Khanquahe Ashrafia Hasania Sarkar-e-Kalan . The Olmas of present day should think that the importance of khanquah had been in their eyes. Names of Olmas and Mashaekh who attended the first Urse Makhdoomi under his sajjadah Nashini.
(1) Hazzatul Islam Maulana Hamid Raza Khan
(2) Sadrushshria Maulana Amzad Ali
(3) Sadrul Afazil Maulana Naimuddin Moradabadi
(4) Sadrulolma Maulana Gholam Jilani Merathi
(5) Maulana Abur Rashid Ashrafi Nagpuri
(6) Maulana Refaquat Hossain Kanpuri
(7) Mufti Ahmad yar Khan Sahab
(8) Mufti Azam Hind Allama Mustafa Raza Khan
(9) Mojahede Millat Maulana Habibur Rahman
(10) Maulana Md. Suleman
(11) Shamsulolma Shamsuddin Jaunpuri
and many others. They congratulated him on being Sajjadah Nashin of Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.).
(1) One should be punctual to prayer (Namaz)
(2) One should be neat and clean in dealing.
(3) One should be strictly careful in discharging rights of slaves.
(4) If one does not get humiliation and lowliness in prayer, one should not leave it; but always perform once’s duty. Gradually Allah, will make one engrossed in it.
(5) Never criticize the saying and actions of mystics. From doing so make sure that there will be slipping in tongue and pen and he will be cursed by Allah though he be a great learned man of his time.
It is true that Hazarat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) journeyed with the mission of Makhdoom Simnani (R.A.) to different places in Indiaand aboard but he did never forget the followers of Silsilai Ashrafia at Bhagalpurparticularly at Machipur where his father and grandfather had been and illuminated the candle of reformation and spirituality. This area was called by them as “Azizane Bhagalpur” and they showered so much blessings and benedictions on this area that can’t be expressed in words. Just in the same way Hazrat Makhdoomul Mashaekh had wider corner in his heart for the followers of Silsala Ashrafia at Bhagalpurparticularly for Machipur. He too made Machipur center of reformation. To know his programme at Machipur, Ashrafi of the area thronged there to see and meet him. From there he used to go to different places of Bhagalpurfor his mission. He brought a revolution in their lives. What to speak of the follower of Ashrafia, even the non believers used to meet and get blessings. In fact his shining face fascinated everyone. I am too proud of having got such a Shaikh who sent me Madina Monawwarah from his Durbar (Shrine) in a moment . There is no need to go in detail. The follower of Bhagalpurin general, and of Machipur in particular, can’t forget his kindness, love, affection, blessing and sincerity. How can they forget such a benefactor (Mohsin) who always kept Bhagalpuron top priority though they did not deserve it but only because his ancestors, father and grandfather, had blessed this area with “Azizane Bhagalpur” so he had always been keeping it before his view. Though he left this world but his blessing and benediction will continue.
Some days before his death, Alahazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) asked his family members to demand from him whatever they liked within three days but only one demand. Everyone demanded from him according to his wish and got it. But even after two days, Hazrat Sarkan-e-Kalan did not present his demand from him as he was in perplexed condition as to what he should demand? Ala Hazrat (R.A) called him and said “Faquir is fulfilling the demand of everyone for three days, and you have not presented your demand as yet.” He said, “I am thinking that you will fulfil my demand or not; first make promise to give what I demand from you”. It is my promise, demand whatever you like”. He again said, “I am in need of many things and you will fulfil only one demand; hence I am puzzled what to demand and what not”. When you have promised to give, I demand you from you”. Hearing it Alahazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) bent down his head and remained in this condition for some time. Then raised his head and said, “I endow myself to you from today”.
Imagine the value of demand what Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) presented before his Shaikh, Ala Hazrat Ashrafi Mian (R.A.) In fact, he gave away his all spiritual earnings what he had earned from meditation, observation and by the benediction of the Holy Prophet of Islam (Sal Allaho Alaiyhe Wa Sallam) and Aulia-Ekram (Revered friend of Allah). That was why his personality had an attraction for all.
|Renowned Disciples and Kholfas
He awarded khelfat to a large number mostly to Olmas and Mashaekh. Some of the important and known kholfas are stated here.
(1) Maulana Sayed Izhar Ashraf Sajjadah Nashin.
(2) Maulana Sayed Anwar Ashraf
(3) Maulana Sayed Ahmed Ashraf
(4) Shaikhul Islam Sayed Md. Madani Ashraf Janashin Mohaddis Azam Hind
(5) Maulana Mufti Habibullah (R.A.)
(6) Maulana Shahid Raza (London)
(7)Maulana Sayed Hashmi
(8)Maulana Md. Suleman Bhagalpuri
(9) Maulana Md. Gholam Mujtaba Ashrafi.
(10) Maulana Mufti Abdul Jalil Ashrafi
(11) Maulana Sayed Kumail Ashraf
(12) Maulana Sayed Sah Tanwir Ashraf
(13) Maulana Sayed Md. Jilani Ashraf
(14) Hazrat Sayed Hasan Mosanna Ashraf
(15) Md. Ibrahim Bombay
(16) Abdul Quadir Bombay
(17) Md. Aqubal Dobai
(18) Maulana Rafique Alam
(19) Md. Azizur Rahman Burhanpur
(20) Maulana Sayed Mahmood Ashraf
(21) Md. Tabibuddin Ashrafi
(22) Maulana Faizur Rahman Shaiklul Hadis Machipur Madrasa
(23) Maulana Momtaz Ahmad Ashrafi Machipur Madrasa.
Learned men (Olmas) and Mashaekh (Holy men) are agreed on it that Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) was on the dignified post of Ghousiat. That his mystical gravity and spiritual maturity were deep like ocean from which some times dashing waves of miracles (Karamat) made the people astonished. If I say that his eighty-four years of life was miracle oriented, it would not be wrong. There is no village, town, city inIndiaor aboard visited by him where there is not his miracle like a picture on the wall (Naqashba Diwar). A voluminous book can be compiled on his miracle. A few, which the writer has seen himself and heard from reliable sources:
(1) Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) left forLahorefromDelhiby train. When the train arrived atPunjab, communal riot broke up and the Sikh started looting and killing the Muslim passenger of the train. All the compartments of the train were looted, set on fire and Muslims were killed except the compartment of the Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.). water and food ran short. Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) said “If there is anyone who can fetch water for this Faquir” A young non Muslim stood and got down from the train and succeeded in bringing water. As soon as he came with water he fell down on his feet and said that before drinking water he should make him Muslim as he had seen a number of persons with white turban on his head, white dress and sword in hands who were protecting the compartment from the looters. He embraced Islam. The news of communal riot spread every where just like the wild fire and every one was anxious about the safety of his life. Later it was announced from RadioPakistanthat Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) has arrived atLahoresafe.
(2) Every year Urs of Hazrat Maulana Ahmad Ashraf (R.A.) is celebrated at Machipur, Bhagalpur Madarsa with pomp and show. The programme of urs begins from 13th Rabiul Akhir and ends on the day of sixteen. Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) left the room to attend Mahfile Sama (Quawwali). The sky was overcast with cloud. The writer was with him. He looked at the sky and reached on the stage. Some drops of rain fell and stopped. Mahfile Sama’a continued with full Swing for two hours. But it rained heavily all around the Madrasa and a people of Agarpur village did not come as they thought that due to rain Mahfile Sama would have been postponed. Everyone was in wonder to see the miracle of Hazarat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.)
(3) The Masjid (Mosque) of Machipur, Bhagalpurwas old and small. The writer made planning to enlarge it in southern and western side so that it could accommodate the inhabitants of Machipur, Agarpur and English line on Friday. But it could not be possible, as the owner of the land beside the Masjid did not agree to give land. I left the programme of its enlargement and raised pillar to construct roof on the Sehan. In December 1994 Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) came at Machipur Madrasa. This was his last journey to this village. One day I requested him to go to Masjid to pray for its construction. He went there and sat. He delivered speech on the importance of Mosque and said, “He who will donate money to this Masjid, I will be his witness and he will go to the paradise in the light of Hadith. He himself gave five hundred eleven rupees followed by others who were present in the Mosque. He remained there for two hours and fifteen thousand rupees collected without any programme for it. I thought that now the money would be utilised in roof. But it did not happen so. On account of some disturbances, I got the land of the Masjid measured by surveyor (Amin). With the miracle of Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.), in every side of Masjid there was enough land for its enlargement. The villagers joy knew no bound and work of enlargement started with full swing day and night. Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) again came after fifteen days and saw the Masjid enlarged and spacious. He was very glad to see it and said, “In Kaba Hatime Kaba is also there. By this mad understand that the founder of Masjid would have left land for future enlargement.
In short, there are so many miracles revealed by him at different places inBhagalpur. If it is completed it will be a booklet of miracles atBhagalpur.
Man has not come in this world to live permanently. Everyone has to meet death on fixed time. Aulia Ekram (Revered friends of Allah) always remembered death and wept bitterly and they assessed their preparation for death. Hazrat Sarkar-e-Kalan (R.A.) lived in this world for eighty-four years but just like traveller who stays for sometime and then leaves for. From one year he began to make preparation to meet his end. When he suffered from weakness and pain in knees, he deemed it as signal of death. He handed over full charge of Urse Makhdoomi to Hazrat Shaikh-e-Azam Maulana Sayed Shah Izhar Ashraf with all Tabarrukat (Benediction). He told that he would not live in this world more and he (Shaikh-e-Azam) would perform Urs programme next year. Two years before his death wherever he went, he used to say that he had come only to meet his followers. He also came at Machipur and told that he had come not on programme but only to meet. He made arrangement of his coffin and kept in the box. He handed over it Hazrat Maulana Syed Mahmood Ashraf who is his grandson. He also gave him expenditure of Fateha Sowam and Chehlum. He remained in the khanquah observing chillah for seven days. During this period, he recited full holy Quran before the grave of his mother. After this, he went home and illness continued increasing. Hazrat Maulana Sayed Mahmood Ashraf took himLucknowand got him admitted in the hospital but in vain.
At last 9th Rajab came and he passed away leaving behind millions of followers to mourn his Wafat (Death).
His shrine is in the Khanquah Ashrafia Hasania in the northern side beside the grave of his mother. May Allah shower flower of kindness on his grave. (Amin)