This mosque houses a tomb believed to be that of Prophet Yunus (upon him be peace). The mosque was built by the Ayyubids in 1226 CE and is located in a town called Halhul, north of Hebron. It is built on Mount Nabi Yunus, the highest peak in the West Bank, Palestine.
- Yunus (upon him be peace) is mentioned by name 4 times in the Quran.
- Yunus (upon him be peace) is also addressed by two other surnames “Dhun-Nun” (Lord of the Fish) and “Sahibil-Hot” (Companion of the Fish). The Quran says:“And (mention) Dhun-Nun when he went off in anger and deemed that We had no power over him but he cried out in darkness, saying: There is no god save Thee. Be Thou glorified! Lo! I have been an evil-doer.” [11:87]“But wait thou for thy Lord’s decree and be not like the Sahibil-Hut who cried out in fear.” [68:48]
- When Prophethood was conferred upon Yunus (upon him be peace), he was commanded to go Nineveh for preaching the truth. Nineveh was situated on the right bank of the river Tigris in ancient Assyria, across the river from the modern-day major city of Mosul, Iraq.
- When Yunus (upon him be peace) departed from his people he stayed at Jaffa in Palestine and boarded a ship to take him to Tirshish, where Tunisia is located today. It was during this journey that he was thrown overboard and swallowed by the fish.
- Ibn Abu Hatim has transmitted a hadith from Rasulullah (ﷺ): When Prophet Yunus (upon him be peace) was in the belly of the fish it appeared to him that he should say,“O Allah, there is no God other than You. Glory be to You. Surely I am of the wrongdoers.” [Quran 21:8]
- This prayer is found beneath the Throne. The angels said to Allah, “O Lord! A faint known voice from a strange land (is detected).” He asked them, “Do you not recognise it?”, “No, O Lord. Who is he?”. He said, “My slave, Yunus.”
- Yunus (upon him be peace) is also claimed to be buried in Mosul, Iraq.
The Powerful Dua of Hazrat Yunus A.S
لا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
La ilaa ha illa anta subhaanaka inni kuntu minazzaalimeen
“There is no deity besides You ; You are free from any imperfection. Verily, I am of the wrongdoers ”
Surah Al-Anbiya 21:87
Nabi Sallallahu alayhi Wasallam said: The invocation of my brother Dhun-Nun : “There is no deity besides You ; You are free from any imperfection. Verily, I am of the wrongdoers ” … None who is experiencing difficulty employs it except that Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala would relieve him of his difficulty ~Tirmidhi