Hazrat Khawaja Ghulam Hassan Peer Sewag(رحمتہ اللہ علیہ)

Hadhrat Mawlānā Pīr Ghulām-Hasan Siwāg (or Suwāg) was one of the notable deputies of Khwāja Muhammad Sirāj ad-Dīn Naqshbandī Mujaddidī (1297-1333 AH) of Mūsā Zaī Sharīf.

He was born in a village called Dagar Siwāg, Layyah district, Pakistan, in the middle of nineteenth century. He was raised as an orphan. He studied with Mawlānā Nūr Khān, who was a deputy of Khwāja Muhammad Uthmān Dāmānī (d.1314 AH). By the advice of his teacher, he first took allegiance in the Naqshbandī Path with Khwāja Dāmānī. After the demise of his shaykh, he continued his spiritual journey with his shaykh’s son Khwāja Muhammad Sirāj ad-Dīn, who awarded him deputyship in the Sufi Path.

He established a Sufi khānqāh in Hasanābād Thal, near Karor Lāl Esan, district Layyah, Pakistan. He was famous for converting large numbers of Hindus in Islam, who would convert only by looking at his blessed face.

He died on 13 Jumāda al-Ūlā 1358 AH (1939). His blessed tomb is in Siwāg Sharīf, close to the city Karor Lal Esan, in Layyah district. His annual Urs is celebrated at his shrine in the form of a purely religious and spiritual congregation. He had three sons:

  1. Khwāja Faqīr Muhammad
  2. Khwāja Ghulām Muhammad
  3. Khwāja Muhammad Ibrāhīm

One of his numerous miracles is the following:

Khwāja Ghulām Hasan Suwāg (rah) was a shaykh of the Naqshbandi tarīqah [spiritual path]. Whenever he looked attentively at a disbeliever, they would become Muslim. Many Hindu youth became Muslim in this manner. A number of Hindus filed a case accusing the shaykh of forcing their youth to become Muslim, and he was summoned to appear before the court. When he arrived, he asked why he had been summoned. The magistrate told him that he was accused of forcing Hindu youth to become Muslim. The shaykh was very surprised when he heard the nature of the charge levied against him. He turned his attention toward the group of Hindu plaintiffs and asked one of them, “Have I made you a Muslim?” In reply, the Hindu recited the testimony of faith [kalimah]. He then looked toward another, then a third, then a fourth – and each recited the kalimah. Fearing that the shaykh might also look toward him, the magistrate, who was a Hindu, said, “Enough. I now understand the situation.” He dismissed the charges and the shaykh was exonerated with honor and respect.